tien

tien

Truth

Truth - Peter Temple My ‘review’ of this book will probably be a bit random as that’s how the book left me – random. I also felt a little stupid as I can’t seem to totally grasp who really are the bad guys (although I think that’s the whole point of it, there’s a whole network of them big bad guys watching each others’ backs) and whether the mystery of it all was ever solved.This was a book chosen for my f2f bookclub. The one who chose it loved The Broken Shore and I enjoyed The Broken Shore – it fits the ‘crime novel’ bill better. Truth, however, is not really about the crime or the policing. It’s about the police, a particular police, the man behind the police’s face. The description on the blurb, “Truth is a novel about a man, a family, a city. It is about violence, murder, love, corruption, honour and deceit. And it is about truth,” pretty much described the novel.Inspector Stephen Villani did feature in The Broken Shore but not quite enough to reveal who he really is. In Truth, his intimate secrets are revealed – we were not spared his brokenness. The job is his life – HCF (Homicide Comes First) is his motto along with others in the team. It was meant to be a jest, of course, yet it is sadly not. These men are so involved with their jobs that everything else is just background music (it’s there but not really listened to).What really got to me and the reason why I got confused as to whether the main mystery was solved was that Villani was haunted by all other crime scenes he’s seen / cases he’s handled / criminals he has apprehended which permeated the whole book and threw me off. I couldn’t keep my eyes on that cup with the ball  I did rush to finish the book before bookclub meet but a friend who read it at leisure actually enjoyed it – so there’s a hint for you, if you’re going to tackle this book. I may actually revisit, one day.It appears that "pissing from the verandah" is a common occurrence as it made an appearance in this book (2nd book of Temple I’ve read). I’m thinking this may be a Temple signature? LOL – I’m going to read a few more of his books, methinks, to dis/prove this point. Ah, and let’s not forget the irreverent humour…‘It takes a certain kind of sick arsehole to check the barbie fat tray,’ said Colby. ‘You’re an example to your men. Women.’‘Don’t have any women.’‘Keep quiet about that,’ said Colby. ‘A Fat dyke’ll have your job in a minute. Promoted from ethnic transgender liaison squad.’