tien

tien

Looking for Alibrandi

Looking for Alibrandi - Marcella Russo, Melina Marchetta Wow, I absolutely love this book! It went way over my expectations. Unlike most of my friends who had to read this for their English class, I didn't. I arrived in Australia missing the year (grade) this book is set for and it has taken me this long (over 16 years) to get to it.This is a coming-of-age novel. Josephine Alibrandi is 17 going on 18 but she has never been sure of who she is and where she fits in. Josie was born in Australia and is of Italian decent. Due to the circumstance of her birth, she and her mother was shunned by the Italian community. She has struggled with the absence of a father, cultural differences in a "multicultural country", her relations with family, friends, AND boys, and looked forward for the day "the Emancipation of Alibrandi" will arrive.I love the Italian culture this book was immersed in. I loved how Josie struggled with trying to fit in to society at large with her background (with some very funny incidents and some very hard confusing moments). I really really loved her relationship with her mother. I just loved how this book was so hilarious and yet tackled some very big issues seriously. Highly recommended for teens (of at least 15 years of age)!