tien

tien

The Historian

The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova This book is a spin off of Bram Stoker's Dracula set in a new era with new spins to the vampire lores. It begins with a young girl who found a strange book along with an even stranger letter which prompted her to ask her father for the story behind these items. The stories told spans 3 generations (her grandparents, her parents, and her own).The book is written almost in the same format as Dracula; that is in the form of letters & journal entries. However it has some narratives also.The first half of the book was very hard to get into. The way it was written was almost like a formula; a chapter is made up of 1-1.5 pages of narrative then 5-10 pages of journal entry then 0.5-1 page of narrative. It was very hard to follow as the focus shifted to often and I feel that everytime the story was getting good, the focus shifted and I lost a bit of my interest along the way.In saying the above, it was much improved in the second half of the book. It doesn't follow the above formula anymore and I could actually get into the stories (past & present) and was able to enjoy it. But it was a tough first 500 pages.