tien

tien

The Color Purple

The Color Purple - Alice Walker The book is a series of letters mainly by the main character, Celie. At first she addressed her letters to God cuz there ain't nobody else. She writes of her miserable non-existent life; she wrote that her life was worse than being buried. From being sexually abused by her father, she passed on to a loveless marriage - but her whole life is work work work. The book explores her relationship with her sister, her husband (almost non-existent to begin with), her son, her daughter in law, her husband's mistress and through this relationships, contrasts her character, her take on life and her learning of life.The language employed was amazing. I got right into it though it does get some getting used to. It got me to reflect that whilst I can empathise with Celie on some parts of life, I am ever more thankful for things I have that she's missed out on. Life is not something to be taken for granted, it is something that we need to fight for, to make it as we will.